Wednesday 22 September 2010

My first buy - a 'Lexicon' card game

It's taken nearly a month but I've finally made my first investment.

I saw this unusual 'Lexicon' card game in a local charity shop and was immediately struck by its unusual book-shaped case embossed in gold-coloured lettering. The front reads, "WADDINGTONS LEXICON CARD GAME, THE GAME OF SKILL, EXCITEMENT AND INTEREST" and the fantastic war-era language continues on one of the advertising cards inside the box: "Hostesses: You will find entertaining particularly successful if you invite your friends to a Lexicon Drive." You can just imagine hostesses everywhere beaming with excitement.

The set comprises: 51 x alphabetical letter cards, 1 x MASTER card, 2 x advertising cards, 1 red booklet entitled Rules of Lexicon and another blue one labelled New Games to be played with Lexicon Cards. The game itself sees players try to dispose of all of their cards by forming words.

At the back of the red booklet are the words: "Copyright JOHN WADDINGTON LTD., Leeds: and London. October 16th 1933." It is difficult to say what the actual production date of my game is (the blue booklet is copyrighted 1935) but by comparing it with similar sets online I reckon it is from the late 1930s/1940s.

There is a similar set described on Leicestershire County Council's Heritage Services pages, although this one comes in a special 'wartime pack'.

I bought mine for just £3.25. The box is in fair condition but the red rules booklet is immaculate and the cards are in good shape considering their age. I've done a little bit of research and similar-looking sets are going for anything between £2 and £12 on eBay.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows about this or other games from this period. Where shall I try and sell it? Is eBay my best bet? Classified advertising? The aim, of course, is to come away with more than £3.25 (after costs) and then I'll start looking for my next item!

No comments:

Post a Comment